My name is Nelson Fernandez and I've worked as a Visual / UI / UX designer based in the SF Bay area for over a decade.
I've had the privilege of working in house at multiple startups and fortune 500 companies, along with a wide variety of clients designing complex web applications, websites, mobile sites, iPhone apps, e-commerce sites, landing pages, email creatives, and marketing collateral.
Gannett Company Inc. - USA Today 10best
Travel Media Group
Senior Visual / UI Designer • (January 2013-current)
San Francisco, CA / Greenville, SC / McLean, VA
At Gannett Co., my primary responsibilities include consulting / visual design / ui design / ux design / front-end development (HTML / CSS) for Gannett properties including USA Today 10Best, Tripology.com and more. Recent projects include the redesign of Tripology.com and redesign of 10best.com (Responsive Design).
Senior Visual / UI Designer • (2012)
San Francisco, CA / NYC
At Travora (a travel ad network and online media company), I was responsible for visual, web, ui and front end development (HTML / CSS) for Travora Properties. Projects included the visual / user inter- face design of our Travora iPhone app, art direction of our Travora animation (commercial), creation of online ads, interactive pdfs, email newsletter design along with marketing mocks for partner programs with brands including Cadillac, Jetsetter, United Airlines and more.
IODA (a subsidiary of Sony Music)
Creative Director - Visual / UI Designer • (2007-2012)
San Francisco, CA
Primary responsibilities include the creation of web and print visual design for all IODA properties.
- As Creative Director, led all creative development for IODA ( Visual Design / UI / Print )
- Successfully re-developed full brand identity for IODA in cooperation with our executive team and public relations.
- Solely responsible for developing new look across all IODA business units, ensuring consistent brand experience.
- Led visual design and creative review for our IODA Rightsholder Dashboard - Our comprehensive and secure web application that gives our clients complete control over their media and metadata.
- Developed the most successful online and print campaigns for our SXSW shows year after year in Austin Texas resulting in the collection of thousands of targeting email, thousands in attendance at our events, sponsorships from major tech and music organizations, and increased brand recognition.
- Grew our social media presence and increased our targeting email lists by re-branding and marketing a variety of IODA promotional properties.
- Created, managed and maintained the IODA marketing site with a small team and grew our social media presense.
Leadclick / Eadvertising (a division of the First American Corporation)
Web Designer / Graphic Designer • (2005-2007)
San Francisco, CA
Created entire online ad/marketing campaigns including websites (design and front end web development), landing pages, banners, email creatives and more.
Web Designer / Graphic Designer • (1999 - 2005)
- Created, designed and maintained company web site/e-commerce site from conception.
- Developed and designed multiple online and print marketing campaigns resulting in sell out shows at SF venues including the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium, Regency Ballroom, Concourse Ex. Center, & more.
University of California Santa Cruz
(1995 - 1999) • Santa Cruz, CA. BA Psychology
San Francisco State University College of Extended Learning • San Francisco, CA
Multimedia Studies Program: Web design
Conferences / Seminars / Courses
- + Responsive Design & Developement (Zurb)
- + UX Design (General Assembly - Certificate Program)
- + UI Design (Web Visions)
- + HTML5 (Web Visions)
- + CSS3 (Web Visions)
- + Web Typography (Future of Web Design)
- + Mobile UX Design (Web Visions)
- + Visual Personality on the Web (Future of Web Design)
- + WordPress (Web Visions)
- + Visual Design
- + User Interface Design
- + User Experience Design
- + Responsive Design
- + Front-end Web Development (HTML5, CSS3)
- + Information Architecture
- + Graphic Design
- + Illustration
- + Motion Graphics (Flash)
- + Adobe Photoshop
- + Adobe Illustrator
- + Adobe Dreamweaver
- + Adobe Flash
- + Adobe Indesign
- + Adobe Fireworks
- + Adobe Acrobat
- + OmniGraffle
- + InVision Web and Mobile Prototyping
- + Microsoft Office (excel, word, powerpoint)
- + HTML5
- + CSS3
- + Wordpress
- + Subversion
- + JIRA
- + Agile Process
- + Experience in OSX and Windows